PhD students Papers
Over the past yeas I have supervised a number of PhD students.
- Since 2018 Sean Gryb is working on a project in the physics and epistemology of cosmology. He is supervised by Simon Friederich while Diederik Roest and I serve as advisors and promotors.
- Since 2018 Stefan Sleeuw works on a project about analogical inference and understanding. I am supervising him together with Jeanne Peijnenburg.
- Since 2017
Hylke Jellema is working on a thesis on the intersection of confirmation
theory and legal reasoning, supervised by Anne-Ruth Mackor and Henry Prakken. I serve as an advisor on this project.
- Since 2016 Joost Schreuder is working on a thesis
concerning the use of empirical data in moral psychology and ethics. He
is supervised by Leah Henderson while Daan Evers and I
- Since 2016 Merel Semeijn is working in the Vidi
project of Emar Maier, on a thesis about fiction and the philosophy of
mind and language. I act as her promotor.
- Since 2014 Ot de
is a PhD students on a project supersised by Fred Keijzer, while I act
as his promotor. Ot works on computational models of nervous systems,
as a topic in theoretical biology and in the philosophy of mind.
- From 2015 until 2017 Max Bialek worked
the Department of Theoretical Philosophy. Max was also a graduate
student at the University of Maryland at College Park. His thesis
concerned laws of nature. He is currently a part-time lecturer at the
Philosophy Department of Rutgers University in New Brunswick.
- From 2014 until 2017 Marta
Sznajder worked on a project in inductive logic and
conceptual spaces, under joint supervision of Hannes
Leitgeb and myself. Marta was also a PhD student at the MCMP
of the LMU in Munich. She is currently a postdoc in Prague.
- From 2013 until 2017 Tom Sterkenburg
was a PhD students on a project jointly supervised by Peter
Grunwald and myself. He worked on a philosophical appraisal
and a further development of Solomonoff's theory of universal
prediction. He is currently a postdoc at the LMU in Munich.
- From 2012 until 2017 Pieter van
der Kolk wrote a PhD thesis on
rational disagreement among epistemic peers. In his thesis he argues in favour of
a permissivist epistemology. Pieter currently works as a software engineer.
- From 2011 until 2016 Patryk
Dziurosz-Serafinowicz worked in my Vidi-project on a thesis
about chance-credence principles. He is currently working at the Gdansk.
- From 2011 until 2015 Franziska
was a PhD student at the Department for Theoretical Philosophy,
supervised by Emar Maier and Petra Hendriks. I had a formal role as
her promotor. She now works in Bergen.
- From 2011 until 2015 Ronnie
Hermens worked in my Vidi-project on the philosophy of
quantum chances. He moved to Oxford after graduating and obtained a
prestiguous Veni-grant in 2017.
- From 2011 until 2015 I co-supervised the thesis
of Hanna van
Loo. She graduated with distinction and won several prizes for her
thesis, including the Ramaer medal and the Wieringa-Rengerink
PhD prize. Her research concerns the
epidemiology and conceptual foundations of mental disorders,
specifically depression. She currently works at the research centre for
psychiatry in Groningen.
- From 2009 until 2012 I collaborated with Rogier Kievit,
who worked in the group of Denny
Borsboom. We investigated the use of measurement models
for giving empirical content to positions in the reductionism debate.
He currently works in Cambridge.
- Between 2007 and 2010 I was co-supervisor of
Rens van de Schoot, who works in the group of
Herbert Hoijtink from Utrecht University on the project
Learning More from Empirical Data Using Prior Knowledge. Rens
is now working in Utrecht.