Dynamic systems methods in the study of development
A practice-oriented approach
For Ellen Hamaker
For Tom Hollenstein
For Paul van Geert
After each lecture, there will be a computer workshop. The goal of these workshops is to introduce participants to some of the methods used in dynamical systems approaches to the study of development. Participants will get a hands-on introduction to the methods developed by the lecturers. Each participant will work at a computer, either with their own datasets or example datasets that can be downloaded here.
Information for participants
Please indicate on the registration form whether you will bring a laptop of your own to the workshop (please do if you can). Below, you can download the software that will be used. We will try to provide computers for those who cannot bring a laptop of their own.
Also, in order for everybody to be up to speed on the theoretical background of the methods used, and for everyone to get the most out of the workshop, we ask that participants read the introductory texts provided here.
For the general introduction:
For van Geert:
- For the workshop with Paul van Geert, you need to download and install Paul's Functions (zipped Microsoft Excel macro file). To install these correctly, you need administrative rights on your computer (if you only have one user on your laptop, and are not logged in as guest, you should be fine)
- Also for van Geert's workshop, you need to download and install Pop Tools, which can be obtained here.
- For the workshop with Tom Hollenstein, you need to download Gridware. Version 1.1 beta can be obtained here. Gridware runs on any platform that runs Java.
- Also for Hollenstein's workshop, you need textpad, wordpad or notepad; all of which are installed on Windows computers by default
- For the workshop with Ellen Hamaker, you need SPSS. If you do not have SPSS installed on your laptop, please try to obtain it through your own university. In case you cannot, we will have some cds available.